Reopening Plan 2020-21
One of the advantages of being a micro-school is our ability to be nimble and quickly adapt to changes. Here is our plan for addressing Covid-19 for the 2020-21 school year:
The safety of our children, guides, and families is paramount. The below-listed policies and procedures are designed to provide clear expectations for guides, students, and parents. Our plan was guided by the guidelines set by the CDC, Texas Education Agency, and Texas Health and Human Services Commission. We will always be working to keep COVID-19 out of our school. Recognizing that there is no guarantee, these policies and procedures will help us minimize the risk of transmission for any illness. Acton Academy Waco cannot in any way warrant that COVID-19, or any other virus or infection, will not occur at our school.
OPTIONS FOR FAMILIES
Families will commit to their family’s learning choice each session
- Full-time learning on campus
- Full-time learning at home
- Part-time learning at home for core skills and part-time learning on campus during our TimberNook outdoor learning experience
SCHOOL DAY PROCEDURES AND PROCESSES
Masks: All guides and learners ages 10 and up will be required to wear masks indoors as well as in outdoor situations that would make it difficult to maintain social distance.
HEPA Air Purifiers: We have equipped each studio/learner space with air filters.
Temperature Checks at Drop-Off: At drop-off, each learner will have his/her temperature taken. Anyone with a temperature at or above 100 degrees will be sent home. We ask that parents/caregivers remain in their cars until they receive a signal that the learner can enter the building.
Self-Contained Studios: Learners will remain in their studio "pods", limiting all in-person interactions, both inside and outside to their guide(s) and fellow learners in their designated studio.
Separate Work and Project Stations: When indoors, learners will be given their own individual work/project stations. Any shared studio materials will be thoroughly sanitized before given to another learner to use.
Outdoor "Studios": We'll be using outside spaces as an extension of the studios. Families can expect their child to spend up to half of the day outside. We are implementing TimberNook for our outdoor learning experience this Fall.
In-School Sickness Plan: If a learner becomes sick at school, the learner will be isolated until they can return home. We will notify all families immediately.
Visitors: For now, we will limit school visits from parents/caregivers to Exhibition days only. If you need to drop-off/pick-up your child outside of normal hours, we ask that you make arrangements for us to meet you outside at your car.
No Extended Day Program: To allow sufficient time to deep clean the studios at the end of each day, we will not offer our Extended Day program.
HEALTH AND SAFETY PROCEDURES
The healthy and safety of our guides, learners, and families is of utmost priority. Daily screening will be conducted of the following symptoms upon arrival to campus:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Muscle pain
- Loss of taste
- Loss of smell
- Known close contact with a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19
A person with new or worsening signs or symptoms listed above will not be allowed to return to school until:
- In the case of a lab-confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis, the individual may return to school when all four of the following criteria are met: at least 3 full school days have passed since recovery (resolution of fever without the use of fever reducing medication); and the individual has improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and at least 14 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; and a note from physician for return to school.
- In the case of an individual who has symptoms that could be COVID-19 student may not return until tested for COVID-19 to confirm negative test. The individual may not return to school until the individual has completed the same four step criteria above (if positive); or (below if negative)
- If the individual has symptoms that could be COVID-19 and they wish to return to school, the individual must obtain a medical professional’s note clearing the individual for return based on an alternative diagnosis - regardless, the requirement to stay away from school for at least 3 full school days after recovery (resolution of fever with the use of fever reducing medication) will still be enforced.
CLEANING OF THE BUILDING AT END OF DAY:
- Door handles, light switches, toilets and sinks, and all surfaces that are frequently touched will be sanitized daily at the end of the day.
- Routine cleaning will happen over the weekend (to include dusting, mopping, vacuuming, etc)
CLEANING OF THE STUDIOS DURING THE DAY
- During outdoor time staff will clean tabletops, door handles, and other surfaces that are frequently touched.
- Hand sanitizer will be placed at multiple places throughout the building, including both entrances.
LUNCH AND SNACK
- Tables will be wiped down before and after lunch and snack.
- Staff and students will wash hands before and after eating lunch or snack.
- With good weather, we will eat outside on picnic blankets.
Children should only bring their lunch and a water bottle to school.
- No backpacks, loveys, or show and tell items may be brought to school. Water bottles will be sent home daily to be washed.
"SCHOOL FROM HOME": REMOTE LEARNING PLAN
We plan to meet in person. Should we move back to Phase 1 or Stay at Home, we’ll transition to School from Home, which involves the following:
- Daily Zoom meetings 2-3 times a day
- Option to pick-up materials from school on a weekly basis
- Individual zoom meetings with Guide weekly
CONFIRMED CASE RESPONSE
Should we learn of a confirmed case in our community, we will close for 3 days to conduct a thorough cleaning of our studios. Parents may choose to keep their child(ren) home for longer; in those cases, we will work with you on a school-from-home plan.